A breast pump is a simple device that draws milk from the breast of a lactating mother. They are basically of two types manual or electric. The breast milk from the pump can be kept in the fridge or freezer. This can be fed to the baby with the help of a feeding bottle later. The pumps generally operate with a two-phase function. The first step stimulates the flow while the second imitates the sucking motion of the baby. One might select the one which is easy to assemble and use. Also, look for the one with excellent suction power to facilitate the expressing process.
Choosing The Right Breast Pumps
Choosing the right breast pump can become easy if one keeps the following points in mind:
- Electric Breast Pumps: The electric ones are the most popular as it lets one adjust suction and speed. One can have a single or double, that allows pumping one both breasts at the same time. These automatic pumps run on electricity or batteries.
- Manual Breast Pumps: These pumps work on the user’s strength to create suction that expresses the milk. These pumps are quieter, smaller, and perfect for traveling.
- Hospital-grade Breast Pumps: they are the most efficient pumps as they pump fast and robust. This makes the pumping activity more productive.
Single vs. Double
The double pumps are indispensable as it can help express a lot of milk. It enables the extraction of fluid from both the breasts simultaneously. It is most helpful if one has twins or is struggling with work and breastfeeding. Also, it stimulates additional milk ejection and encourages prolactin levels. The milk coming out with this pump is rich in fats and provides higher energy content for the baby. For some mothers’ single pump is more than sufficient. Moreover, some pumps have both single and dual modes.
Some breast pumps come with some additional features like:
- Easy to assemble- Always select the one which is quick and easy to assemble.
- Breast cup- it fits over the breast inside the pump. The breast cup must provide the user well. This will ensure maximum comfort and optimal extraction of milk. Some pumps have the option of more than one cup. This helps the user find the right fit for their breasts.
- Control panel- The control panel helps one find the right setting. One can control the suction level and the speed of extracting the milk.
Some More Features
- Milk storage- Always choose the pump with storage containers. This will help in the secure storage of milk in the fridge for later use.
- Travel bag- Some pumps have designs that are travel-friendly. They come with a storage bag that lets one keep everything together safely. It is also helpful while expressing milk at the workplace.
- Batteries- Having a pump that runs on batteries allows the user to use it wherever they want.
- Aesthetics- Always go for the pump that gives one comfort. This makes the extraction of milk easier and efficient.
Apart from these features, some pumps may also come with cleaning equipment, breast pads, and soft massage cushion. Also, it may come with stimulation mode, rechargeable batteries, and a USB charging port.